Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jiggle Butt 5k

This last weekend I ran the Jiggle Butt 5k.  One of my friends had posted that she wanted to run it, so I said I would go with her.

Up early on Saturday to get ready for the race.  Very thankful for a pot of hot coffee =)  Got the kids up and loaded into the van (Sarge had to work, so I was taking them to my friend's house).  And left just before 7am...  Which is actually a *late* start considering most of my other races I'm leaving before 6.

When I stepped outside I realized it wasn't going to like running a whole lot.  It was 65* and about 200% humidity.  I started thinking it would actually be easier to run if it was raining...

Dropped the kids off, picked up my friend and headed to UT Arlington for the race.  Once there, we wandered around the expo, got a free massage and picked up some free samples.

Pretty soon it was time to line up for the race.  This year (I ran this race 3 yrs ago) they had pacers starting at 8 minute miles.  And they lined up at the front.  

I always get a kick out of the younger kids who line up at the very front.  Especially when they're about 8 yrs old.  Do they really think they can run a sub 21 minute 5k?

So, I lined up behind all the kids and waited for the start.  Pretty soon we were off and running.  About a half mile into the race, one of the little girls (maybe 8 yrs old) in front of me started doing cartwheels.  So, not only did I have to weave around the dying teenagers, I now had to watch out for flailing arms and legs...

Mile 1 went by in 7:53.  I knew I had to pick it up some.
Mile 2 flew by in 7:30.  Much better.
Mile 3 slowed down again to 7:50.  The humidity was really getting to me.
I finished in 23:55, AP 7:42.  I was 11th overall and 2nd in my age group.


The medals this year were really cute.  So glad I was able to get one lol!


After I finished, I went back out to run in with my friend.  I'm glad I did, and so is she.  She was having a mental struggle during the last mile and needed a shot of confidence to finish strong (which I knew she could do!)  She was about to take about 8 minutes (yes, minutes) off of her previous 5k time.  I'm so proud of her =)


Hot and sweaty after the race.

Back inside for a bit and then on our way home.  When we came back outside, it had finally decided to start raining.  And then the best thing about running a race with a friend...  Coffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment