Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tasteful Tuesday: Black Bean and Corn Soup

Last night I made chicken and rice with fajita spices.  Since I have a bit of it left over, I'm going to re-purpose my leftovers into another meal =)

For this soup, I do have a recipe.  And sometimes I actually follow it.

Here's what you need:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
a mix of peppers- I use bell peppers because the kids don't like spice
2 large carrots, sliced
2 tsp ground cumin

Saute the above in the olive oil until soft.

Add:

4 cups veggie or chicken stock
2 cups cooked black beans (with the cooking water)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano

Simmer 20 minutes.

Then stir in:

2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups corn kernels (can be frozen)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat through.  Serve with a variety of toppings.  We like cheese, sour cream, avocados, black olives...


This recipe can easily be made into a vegetarian dish.  Just use veggie broth, leave out the chicken and add half a kombu strip broken up =)

What's your favorite way to re- purpose leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment