Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Bloomin' Good Run

Yesterday I ran the DRC (Dallas Running Club) Bloomin' 4 miler.  It was hot and sticky at 6 when I was out walking the dog, and it only got worse from there.  By race time it was around 80 degrees with a feel like temp between 85 and 90.  But it was still a great race =)

The race was held at White Rock Lake.  There is about 18 miles of trails that run around the lake.  We started by Whinfrey Point and ran a 2 mile out and back course.  There was one point during that run that gave me slight scare.  In mile 3, we ran across a bridge and with the number of people crossing it, it was "bouncing" up and down.  It was enough to throw off my stride and make me feel like I was going to pass out because I couldn't "feel" the ground under me when I thought I should.  Thankfully once I got off the bridge, the feeling passed =)

Since it was an out and back course, I was able to see what place I was in at the turnaround.  Two miles in, I was sitting in 5th place with the 4th place woman just in front of me.  I quickly passed her past the turnaround, but then had one pass me after the incident on the bridge.  By the end of the the 3rd mile, I had passed her again and was headed home.  She pulled out a sprint at the end, but my competitive nature got the better of me and I sprinted past her =)

TT: 28:35
TM: 4.08 (Garmin)
AP: 6.59

3rd overall
1st age group

Since this was the Bloomin' 4 miler, the award winners received plants =)





Now I just have to find the time and figure out where I want to plant them =)

For the week of May 31- June 6: 24.67 miles running, 10.5 miles walking the mutt

Overall it was a good week of running.  I did one 5 mile tempo run and one 1.5 mile interval run (part of NROL4W workout).  I missed my scheduled long run because of the race, but I'm okay with that.  Especially considering how hot is was yesterday and today =)

1 comment: