Tuesday, October 4, 2011

{31 for 21} Day 4: A Guest Post

A DAD'S EYE VIEW

OK, so Lynette thought I should take a shot at sharing something, anything, from my point of view- of course keeping with the Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  My guess is I have not thought about everything the way Lynette has.  For starters, Sweet Pea's condition was not a surprise to me.  No, I did not have any secret test performed without Lynette's knowledge or permission.  I don't remember when, it may have even been before conception, but I had a feeling (call it premonition, vision, whatever) that our next child would likely be different.  You can ask Lynette, when we first found out that our little angel had DS it was like I had always known.

The older Sweet Pea gets the less and less I can even tell.  Obviously the thought of sending your child in for heart surgery is not something even an insensitive guy like me takes lightly.  I am anxious for it and the recovery to be over but have faith that it will all go well.  It is clearly serious to me as I have said "no" to the Army for the first time in over 17 years; passing on a vacation- like deployment to Kenya.  In my unit it truly is "family first".  

I am excited for what the future holds for this family.  I have always noticed how much joy and excitement those with Down Syndrome bring to their surroundings and Sweet Pea is no different.  I'm proud to be entrusted with the duty and honor of creating the best, most loving, environment anyone could ever hope to experience.  That's all I can come up with now.  Time to go love on my kids. 



3 comments:

  1. *love* I should get my hubby to guest post :) I totally believe you! I knew too. I even had a dream that I had forgotten about before Reagan's big sister was born that I was going to have a child with Down syndrome. I forgot about it for years until my sister reminded me after Reagan was born. Good luck with surgery...she'll do great and all will be well.

    ReplyDelete