Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Levia's Story- Part 1: Her Birth

This last week has gone by so fast.  My baby girl is already 9 days old and it has been quite the experience so far.  So different from any of my other kids.  But, I'll start at the beginning, with her birth story.  The rest will follow in other posts.

Like my pregnancy with Junior- Junior, I had been having timable contractions for a couple weeks...  A couple hours every day or so.  So, when the contractions started on the Saturday before Mother's Day, I didn't give them "too much thought."  That is until I realized that I was feeling them a bit more in my back.

After we put the kids to bed around 9, I had Sarge call the midwife to give her a "heads up" that things might be progressing...  Except she didn't answer.  Hmm...  This could be an interesting night.  Wasn't really planning an unassisted home birth ;)

Around 10PM, Sarge called the birth center and told them we needed to get in touch with Amy.  She called back a few minutes later and said she was on her way.  By this time, I was definitely in labor, although still not believing it 100% as none of my other kids had been early (Levia was just over a week early).

Amy and her assistant got to the house a little before 11 and I was just about ready to get in the tub.  I labored in the tub for awhile with Sarge putting pressure on my back.  Amy was really great about letting us labor by ourselves.  The only time I realized she was in the room was when she would check the baby's heart rate.  

In between contractions, I joked with Sarge that he was going to make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after the baby was born =)

Pretty soon, I was pushing.  It seemed to take forever, but I know it really wasn't that long (Junior was 3 hours of pushing).  And soon enough she was out. 

I've had a few people ask when my water broke with her.  And honestly, she was born with the water intact.  It didn't break until we were lifting her out of the tub.    I know that's suppose to mean something, but not sure what.

While we were waiting for the placenta to be delivered, Sarge woke up Junior and Girly- girl to let them see their new sister.  Girly- girl was so excited that it was a girl, even though she had assured me that she would still love the baby if it was a boy =)

Pretty soon we were tucked into bed and Amy started all the newborn checks.


Levia was 6lbs 7oz and 19". 





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story this is and I can't wait to follow along! God's incredible gifts come in ways as unique as His children He gives them to :)

    Thinking of you this morning! So glad I checked in on you!!

    HUGS! ~Deej

    ReplyDelete