Saturday, May 21, 2011

Levia's Story Continues...

I left off on the last post with some of Sweet Pea's stats.  But there's more to the story.

I was snuggled into bed eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches watching the midwife, Amy, finish up her newborn assessments.  She turned to us at one point and said "I'm not a dr, but..."

Not words you want to hear from someone who's checking out the vital stats of your newborn daughter.  I felt the blood drain from my face and my heart sink into my stomach.  I didn't know what I expected to hear next, but it certainly wasn't:

"Based on her physical features, I suspect she has a trisomy defect.  I'm not sure if I'm trying to hear something, or if there is really something there, but she may have a problem with her heart."

I could feel my world crumbling.  All of a sudden my perfect baby wasn't "perfect" any more.  I didn't know what to say or to think.

Amy told us that we needed to get Levia in to see a dr as soon as we could and that they would most likely have to do an ultra sound on her heart to see if there were any problems with it.

Utterly exhausted (why do my kids insist on being born in the middle of the night?) Sarge and I tucked ourselves into bed to try to get a couple hours of sleep before the other kids woke up.  Sleep was pretty elusive that night for me.  My mind was racing a hundred different directions.

When the other kids came in, Sarge could see that I needed some more time to process everything.  So, he got the kids cleaned up and herded them out the door for church.


So I sat and stared and prayed and worried...  So many thoughts and emotions, but no answers.


Before they left for church...  They are so in love with her already.


Everyone after church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment