Sunday, May 23, 2010

Running away with the circus...

Well, not really. But Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey did sponsor the DFW Red Nose Run. They had clowns entertaining the crowd before the start and then before the awards they had a 30 minute mini show with the clowns and performers from the Lonestar Circus school. Which was really cool to watch. On a side note, they offer fitness classes for all ages =)

For the first time this year, I had a great night sleep the night before a race. I only woke up once and that was to go to the bathroom- I was trying to hydrate really well.  I got up a little earlier than I have been, but still had plenty of time to walk the dog. The race didn't start until 8:30 and it was only a 20 minute drive to get to the start.

By race time, it was about 75* and 95% humidity. Thankfully there was a nice breeze that kept us from swimming lol!

Got to the race, had plenty of time to pick up my bag (there was even a red rubber nose in the bag ) go back to the car to drop everything off and get a bit of a warm- up run in. I wasn't really feeling it during the warm- up, so I was a bit worries that the race wasn't going to go well.

Standing around waiting for the start, I had a few people comment on my shoes (VFF's). Now that I think about it, it was only the men who were asking me about them... I'm really enjoying talking to people about the benefits of barefoot/ minimalist shoe running. It's even sweeter when I whup their butts in the race =P

My plan for the race was to set a nice quick pace in the first mile, hold on in the second and push to the end. Not exactly what I had hoped for, but I'm very happy with the results.

Mile 1 AP: 6:50: Seriously? I felt so relaxed!

Mile 2 AP: 7:03: Slowed down a little more than I wanted, but there was a hairpin turnaround shortly after the 1 mile mark and we were running back into the wind.

Mile 3 AP: 7:00: Another hairpin turnaround and fewer people to focus on. I did see the 2nd place female in front of me (couldn't miss her in her orange and black striped running tights!) and was trying to catch her.

Last 0.1: 45 seconds, AP 5:47: By this point I could see the finish clock and was really kicking it to try and catch tiger legs in front of me and to beat my dad's last 5k time. Finished in 21:41, 5 seconds better than my dad's race last week. Tiger legs finished less than 2 seconds in front of me =(

Results:

overall: 19/ 638 finishers

Females: 3/ 412

Age Group: 1/ 67 the lady who was listed as first was over a minute behind me.

TT: 21:41

AP: 6:57



Here's a picture of the medal:


And the shirt:


Depending on what size shirt you got, you were either an astounding acrobat, a highwire hero or a cannonball daredevil.

No comments:

Post a Comment