Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Week in Review

This last week was mostly about me =)  I ran the Cowtown Half Marathon in Fort Worth on Saturday.


My goodie bag...  Along with the usualy assortment of race fliers and Bio- Freeze,  a t-shirt, a nice little bag, a sample of brown rice and a bottle of Muscle Milk.  Because every runner wants to drink a bottle of protein before they run.
I tried to get to bed early Friday night, but it just didn't work. I tossed and turned for a few hours, got up, walked around a bit, laid back down... Finally about 1:30 I grabbed my blanket and pillow and laid down on the couch and fell asleep... For about 2 1/2 hrs. Then the alarm went off.  I was not ready to wake up and get moving. But, Sarge got up, we got ready and headed out.

Traffic was at a standstill going into Fort Worth. The downtown exit we were supposed to take was not moving, so we forged ahead *hoping* that the next one would be less crowded. Success! And we even ended up parking only about 8 blocks from the start/ finish area.

The whole time we're waiting for the start, I'm debating if I should even run... You know, lack of sleep, feeling a tad dizzy... But, I did it. I striped down to my skirt and long sleeve shirt (and gloves) hopped into my starting corral and... waited... and waited... 16 minutes after the first wave went off, I finally got moving.


The first couple miles were slow going dodging around slow runners/ walkers who put themselves in the wrong corral (grr!). About the only pet peeve I have is runners and walkers lining up in the wrong area because they somehow think it's going to give them a better chance... That and my DH driving with the windows down in the middle of winter =P

Finally around 4 miles I settled into a good pace. A little water at 5 miles, a shot block and water at 8 miles and more water around 12 miles. Sarge saw me coming in about 0.5 miles before the finish and said "See, I told you it was a good day to run" As I rounded the corner to the finish, I saw by my watch, that my goal time was within reach. The clock at the finish line read 2:01 something, but my Garmin had me at 1:45:18. Woo hoo! A new PR!!

After the usual collect your finisher's medal and shirt and grabbing a bag of food (yes, they had the food bagged for runners to grab!) I wandered around looking for Sarge. I finally just decided to head to the car and hope he had the same thought The really nice thing about where we ended up parking was that we were on the interstate headed home within minutes of getting in the car.

The official results:
Gun Time: 2:01:29
Chip Time: 1:45:18
Overall place: 433/ 4777 (top 10%)
Gender place: 78/ 2443 (top 3%)
Age division: 23/ 440 (top 5%)




And now for the usual cute assortment of pictures of the kids at the park.  Papa came with us this time =)







No comments:

Post a Comment